Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I'm Still Crying?

Today was one of those where you just wanna do your homework and then go watch a movie, SO I DID! I decided that I wanted to watch something moving so after much contemplation I settled on seeing Precious. I can tell you now that it was a wonderful decision.

For those of you who do not know the premise of Precious, instead of me explaining it to you watch the trailer.


So now that we are all on the same sheet of music. Allow me to attempt to try and describe the awesomeness that is this movie. Directed by Lee Daniels Precious is a heartwarming tale that will take you on a roller coaster of emotions, IN JUST THE FIRST 30 MINUTES! Going in I knew what to expect but even with that prior knowledge i still couldn't help but cringe and cry at some scenes. Daniels did not shy away from anything he made us watch as this poor girl attempts to figure out her life. One of my favorite parts was the way he juxtaposed Precious' dreams with reality. Her dreams were filled with vibrant and warm colors while the real world was darker and cold. You couldn't help but smile everytime she imagined being a supermodel or actress but the smile quickly faded as she returned to reality. While on the topic of Precious, I have to say kudos to Ms. Gabourey Sidibe! Her performance is just so amazing for such a young actress. Not for one second of the movie did I feel like she was acting, she was Precious Jones for this movie. From the delivery of her lines to look in her eyes while sitting in a chair Sidibe portrayed the character to the point. Before I get to far gone in my praises for Sidibe we CAN NOT! forget the performance of Mo'nique in this movie. I grew up watching Mo'nique on "The Parkers" and as a stand up comic and you would think coming from a background like that her performance as an abuse mother would be terrible. OMFG HOW WRONG WAS I! She showed the world just how talented of an actress she is by switching the comedian off and showing us that she can be serious. It is no wonder she has been snatching up all the Best Supporting Actress awards. Her and Sidibe had a powerful on screen connection that just intensified the power of the movie. I also have to give a shout out to Mariah Carey and Paula Patton. Both of these women did a wonderful job in their role as well.
Looking back on the movie as a whole you can't help but fall in love with how simply amazing it is. When I look at it compared to all the other nominees for Best Picture I can't help but root for it because it is the underdog. It didn't have fancy new technology, fancy camera work, crazy special effects, or A list actors. It is a small independent film that is taking the world by storm, camera shake and all! This movie is the SECOND! and i'm serious when I say this, the second movie to ever make me cry. (The First Being AI: Artificial Intelligence). When I say cry I don't mean "awww that was sad" I mean I there was some waterworks going on over here. It's hard for me to explain to every one just how moving, inspiring and amazing this movie is. People are saying that you can't talk about "Avatar" you have to experience it. Well I'm telling you all that you cannot critique "Precious" you have to see it from start to finish to truly understand the power of this story. A story that is not on a made up moon of Jupiter. A story that is happening right now as I type this. Precious has stolen my heart, (which was previously occupied by Disney movies). I hands down with out question or second guessing give Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire an A-

No comments:

Post a Comment